A lot of people don’t know that the Carnegie Theatre & Arts Centre is a registered charity and unlike other similar venues the Carnegie does not receive any government subsidy. We have no safety net.

Managed and operated as a charitable trust since 2015 we receive declining grant funding from Allerdale Borough Council. In 2020 we will receive £75,000. That will reduce each year by £15,000 to £0.

Highlights of what the Carnegie does includes:

  • 140 + performances over a range of genres per year
  • 13 days of dance and musical festivals per year
  • 30,000+ theatre admissions per year
  • Carnegie Music Centre is an accredited Arts Awards Centre
  • Regular community clubs and classes
  • Cafe Carnegie

“The Carnegie touches so many peoples lives in Workington and surrounding Districts, and it will continue to do so in the future.”

Norman Brayton, Chairman, Carnegie Singers

While our mainstream programme of theatre events is extremely popular the Carnegie is and can be much more. The Trust has major plans afoot to develop the Carnegie to enable more people to take advantage of more opportunities to develop and express their creativity, and to support them to engage with the widest possible range of culture. We are a unique asset nestled amongst some of the most talented individuals in the country. To redevelop the Carnegie we need your help.

With annual running costs in excess of £500,000 and a Grade II Listed building which is in need of tender loving care plus the need to develop what the Carnegie does to build on the Carnegie Music Centre and Youth Theatre we need more funding now through all of; ticket sales (the Carnegie takes on average 30% of the price of a ticket bought with the other 70% going to promoters/artists), sundry sales (food/drink, sweets etc), grants, alternative funders and donations to survive. It is that simple.

If you wish to support us you can do so by considering either a one off or regular donation.

Make your donation through our website by clicking on the button below. Make sure your donation goes further by making sure you say ‘yes’ to Gift Aid as that means we can claim an extra 25p for every £1 donated at no extra cost to you.

If you want to support the Carnegie longer term why not consider setting up a regular donation in the form of a direct debit. You can set up a direct debit online by clicking on the preferred amount to donate below. You can cancel this at any time.